Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Prostitution (gasp)

Sorry guys, my computer is going insane. It posted this post many many times. :( I thought once was good enough. Hopefully, they all go away soon. Once again, I got into a friendly debate today with some of my classmates about a moral issue. They wondered why prostitution is illegal. Hmmm...I guess I had never thought about that. Therefore, I did the best I could with what I had. First off, I tried to explain to them that I believed that sex was meant exclusively for after marriage and I went into some detail on that. Also, in prostitution, someone is severely being used. Where is the love? Nowhere, someone wants someone else’s body for pleasure. Someone comes out feeling used, well, because they were and sex has a language of love. In that situation, there is no love. However, they don't believe what I do about premarital sex, so I tried a new angle. I next tried to argue that prostitution opens many doors for bad things like STDs, murder and the degradation of women. At this angle, there wasn't much ground to stand. As I was arguing though, I realized that in our society, premarital sex is "ok", but premarital sex where someone is paid is illegal. Where is the logic in that?? Then again, a line has to be drawn somewhere. The government can't go into peoples' houses to see who's doing what with who and who is married to whom. The line has to be drawn somewhere, so the government should at least try to stop the people on the street. Anyway, that was about the extent of my argument. What do you think? How else could I have argued it, keeping in mind that they believe that premarital sex is ok?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

the bible is not going to present them with a good arguement. they dont care about wha tthe bible says and its annoying when people start spouting off bible passages in an arguement. i would ask them why any crime is illage. why dont we kill people if we want to? why dont we steal? why dont we do a lot of things? maybe if they come up with the answer for that it will give u the reason why prostitution is illegle too. even people who believe pre-marrital sex is ok dont think people should should be promiscuous. they still see sex as a very personal thing shared between people who are in love. the problem is they might feel that others have a right to feel differently about sex and have sex all the time if they wish and so that arguement might not work either. the people you are dealing with won't care if u give them a good arguement n e ways, they will jsut believe what they want... i mean look at how they feel about abortion??

Sarah said...

yeah I agree with Jennifer. The line has to be drawn somewhere. A lot of people justify premarital sex with " we're in love, so we can do whatever we want". I think that even fem's would be mad at prostitution because it is so degrading to women. There is no love at all involved, and the woman is just an object. It's like buying a beer or something. I'm tired so that might not make sense.