Sunday, January 30, 2005

What Do You Think About "Modern" Churches?

Church Building Architects Inc.

Q: Our church was built for the Latin rituals. Can we renovate it to support the current rituals?
A: A Latin church's focus is the Tabernacle. Our focus today is the assembly and its actions.

Q: Can we use carpeting?
A: Yes. Each community should make its decision after listening to and understanding the competing desires of musicians, liturgists, and acoustical engineers.

I've never been a fan of remodeling old Churches. Vatican II never said anything about putting in carpet, moving the tabernacle, or changing to circular or auditorium seating. The website even says that they're work is based on the guidance of Vatican II. I don't believe it. If you want to, you can contact the creators of this thing right here.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I have to agree with you on this one. The Tabernacle should always be the focus of the church. I also don't like most new Chruches. Your churches ( in Fowler and Westphalia) are awesome in that they have kept the catherdral like setting, instead of opting for a comfortable homelike setting. My church ( Pewamo) is pink,( need I say more!?). One of the best churches I have ever seen is my cousins' church in Rhode Island. It is almost gaudy with all the paintings and statues, but I love it. You can't help but to think about God when you're in it.

Rachael said...

I agree with both of you. I don't like modern churches. I don't like that many of them have and chairs (padded ones for people's comfort) circling around the altar in a complete circle. A lot of them don't have kneelers either (also for people's comfort). Traditional churches just seem more God-centered and religious. I feel like modern churches try to look like a secular "place of worship" to attract more people, when really we should not be conforming, but rather keeping with the old traditions of the church.

Tom said...

I have to disagree with you guys..on one thing, anyway. Even though in our church they aren't around the altar, the pews in the front of the sides of the church do have padding. Mainly for the elderly, however, so I wouldn't mind that. I am not for sure if that was what you meant, Rachael.

Rachael said...

No Tom, many newer church's that I've been to have all padded pews and no kneelers in the whole church. I don't think this is right because people are supposed to kneel at many parts of the mass. (of course there is no problem with kneeling on the floor, but many just choose not to kneel at all)I have no problem with the elderly having padded pews.

Tom said...

Ok, Rachael, I just didn't know for sure what you were talking about.