Wednesday, January 26, 2005

March For Life

Bush Buoys Pro-Lifers
Abortion Foes Get Call From Bush
Bush Praises Anti-Abortion Rally
Tens of Thousands Rally...
Well, just in case you felt like reading some news about the March for Life on Monday, here it is. Wow, it was awesome. Just the sight of seeing so many Pro-Life people together was amazing. I was saying to one of my friends while we were there, "This is as good as World Youth Day- minus the Pope of course." Someone else who I didn't know turned around and agreed with me. It was cold, wait, it was freezing and we were all packed into the slushy streets. There were definitely those times where I had to think, "just offer this up", but everyone was so friendly and happy. The whole trip was filled beautiful experiences; the best was probably talking to strangers. Some people didn't know their way around on the metro, so they went with us to the march. Other times in the hotel, we would just strike up a conversation with priests about mass or the march. I have a quick story to share, then I have to go to bed.
Going down into the metro station, we (the girls) had gotten ahead of the guys. I had this feeling that I was being followed down the escalator. (ha, everyone is going the same way I guess, so it wouldn't be anything unusual to have someone behind me)Anyway, that's how I felt. When we got to the bottom, a man came up to us three and explained how that was homeless and wanted to get breakfast. We listened to him talk for awhile. When he was done, he thanked us for listening, saying that most people just turn up their noses and walk away. Most people, he said, don't even want to look at him. I gave him some money and he graciously said thank you. Smiling, he went back up the escalator towards the food court. "God bless you!" I shouted up to him. He shouted the same back to me.
I guess I have a soft spot for homeless people. So many people automatically think that the homeless person is lazy and that they could get a job if they had any ambition at all. This makes me so mad. Sure, I bet that some homeless people have addictions and they may use their money for cigerettes or alcohol, but this is no reason to ignore them. They're human beings for goodness sakes! Ugh, there's a certain dignity that everyone should have. A lot of homeless people are treated like animals- no one wants to look at them or care for them. I'm sure that we can't even fathom what they're lives are like. Dirty with torn up clothes, begging in streets for money just to buy a meal must be so difficult.
I'm done complaining. I just wish people were more empathetic and would try to walk in other people shoes rather being so naive.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like you guys had an awesome trip! ( I'm so jealous :) ) You'll have to tell me all about it.

Unknown said...

I hope you have pictures of the trip, it sounds like there were more than expected!

By the way...have the bracelets come in?