Monday, December 27, 2004

(Warning: Prepare for a Long Post)

It all began with very simply. "Why don't you go get a movie with Ted?" Mom asked me. So, we got talking about good movies that we could rent. "Rachael, you need to see Farenheit 911 sometime," Ted told me. "Ahhh, yeah. Probably not," I said. Whoops, wrong thing to say. Definitely the wrong thing to say. Just for your information, he is very liberal. Anyway, his response. "What's the matter? Can you not handle that your oh-so-great Christian president is wrong?" After that, everything blew up.
"We're in Iraq just for oil! Why didn't we go to the UN first?" He told me.

"Yeah. We did and they wouldn't support our action."
"Ahh, that's what Bush wants us to think. We actually didn't even wait for their response and we went by ourselves."
"If that's true, what was the point of it?"
"To have all the oil for ourselves. We didn't want to split it up between more countries. You can't seriously believe that we're over there to help the people. Look at all the other countries whose people are oppressed and we aren't helping them. People in Africa are being killed and we don't care. No, we're doing it completely out of selfishness." (and bla, bla, bla for about 5 more minutes while I want to dig and hole and hide out for awhile)
"So if we would have gone into Iraq with the support of the UN, it would have been ok?"
"Yes."
"I disagree Ted that we are in Iraq for oil. Look at WW2, we got into that to help out the people that were being oppressed by Hitler."
"No. WW2, we were fighting Communism. Vietnam, we were fighting China because they were Communist."
"Ok, let's say that's true. What are the platforms of Communism? Does it oppress people? What did Hitler do to the people?"
Anyway, after him yelling at me for at least 10 more minutes with me standing there pretty much defenseless, I walked out and left it to mom and dad. What's the use anyway? There is no way I can sway what he believes. After I left, the argument has gone from abortion, seperation of church and state, gays, religious toleration and the list is still going on. Oh and by the way, supposedly all United States media is skewed and all other countries have the right news while we remain in the dark. Other news he informs me of, Bush has only created 1 bill against abortion and that was signed by liberals. Bush is milking his Christian image for all it's worth and not doing anything that Christians think he is.
I don't believe the war is right, but I do not believe that we went into Iraq because we want oil. And I don't agree with him about a lot of his beliefs. I have a headache now and am in a seriously bad mood. If your here still reading, thanks.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

WOW, sounds like my dad's cousins. I can see why you're in a bad mood. We're supposed to listen to Michael More because the mews media is skewed? I thought the media was too liberal and Michael More was off the map (the word rabid comes to mind.) Well, hopefully the rest of your day is better. :)