Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Lacking Happiness?

"As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete. This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life one's friend. " (John 15:9-12)

For some reason, people seem to be most unhappy during the Christmas season. Suicide rates are higher at this time than any other time of the year. What is the reason for this? Maybe some people feel alienated from others or they feel that no one loves them. Maybe it's the stress that our society has created from shifting the focus from the birth of Jesus to presents. I'm sure there's not any one reason for depression during the holidays, but I'd like to propose an idea. Jesus tells us that His greatest commandment is to love other as He loves us. He says that if we keep His commandments we will remain in His love and our joy will be complete. Try, during this Christmas season to try to reach out to others in love. Maybe visit a nursing home or help out around the house more than you usually would. If you're doing last minute shopping, smile to everyone that walks by you. (It's a sad world out there in the hectic shopping malls.) It's a proven fact that loving others makes you happy. Try it.

No comments: