Thursday, February 22, 2007

Here I am...

Sorry for not keeping in good contact. :( I thought I'd make a post to let you all know that I am still alive and well (for the most part), and almost caught up on my homework.
Two weekends ago was winter carnival which meant that we had Thursday and Friday to party and work on snow statues. The theme was "ancient worlds come to play in snowy drift of today". There were a couple of trojan horses, babylon, poseiden...etc. I worked on Solomans Temple with St. Als as an all-nighter. Winter Carnival was insane craziness beyond your imagination. There were people all over campus working on snow statues all night long in -25 degree wind chills. The audio engineering students made a wicked huge sound system made from snow and people were rocking out/dancing all night long.



St. Als ended up getting first place (or maybe second, I'm not sure) in student organizations on our snow statue. I also played on a snow volleyball team when there was a -35 degree wind chill. It was pretty intense!!




In other news, I like it up here. I have been incredibly blessed with an awesome Catholic group of friends and good roommates. I'll actually be getting a house with someone from St. Als and her friend, along with my current roommate, so I'm pretty excited about that. (I signed the lease Wednesday!)
Weather up here has been pretty nice lately...we've had enough sun to keep all 3 of my plants alive, so it must count for something.
In my spare time (which is really nonexistant, but I sometimes neglect my homework...) I've been snowshoeing, snowboarding, climbing (see photo @ left) and working 2 jobs. I work in a env. eng. lab doing lake superior water research on nutrients and carbon activity and at the outdoor adventure program leading snowshoe trips, hikes etc. and renting out equipment.
Oh, I also have a pretty incredible friend (boy), Dan, who I get to spend a lot of time with...he's pretty amazing. :D
This summer, I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I probably won't be home much. In June, I'll be in Bolivia doing some research/developing a drinking water system/sanitation system for a rural village. (That leaves the month of May for cramming Espanol!) Whew! I think that's all.
No, it's actually not. Classes are super tough!! My brain is in constant overload!! Haha. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box (or the most intelligent person at an engineering school), I've found, but I do the best I can. Ideally, I'd like to use my future degree in the missionary field, so it's always nice to have a higher goal to look to (and daydream about when I want to throw a tantrum in calc class!!).
I think of ya'll back home and pray for you often. Know that you're welcome to visit anytime! I promise you would have nothing less than a Keewenawesome time, eh. ;)

9 comments:

Tom said...

Man, good thing, I am getting out of LCC this semester, because life is boring.
I hope I find an awesome friend as well.

I have never seen anyone play volleyball in the snow. I would rather play in mud.

Rachael said...

wow. i just read over my post and i have to say...sorry my writing is so boring. can i blame that on the school?
snow volleyball is lots of fun. imagine playing it with gloves and coats on! it make it kind of tricky.

Sarah said...

your writing is not boring lol...i'm sooo jealous that you get to go to bolivia! that is amazing. I wish central was as cool as tech...

Rachael said...

oh i'm so sorry! i think that when i updated blogger, it took some people off administrative mode- namely those who don't have gmail. what can i do about it?

Tom said...

Um, maybe telling people to get Gmail. The only people I think that don't have a Gmail account is Kyle (which doesn't do anything anyway) and John N.

Jenn said...

i dont have gmail... but i dont really count...

Marnee said...

Wow Rachael, it sounds like your are having lots of fun and really belong there. The temperatures make me really cold just thinking about them, I don't know how you can manage it. Your writing really not boring, it is very interesting. And the snow sculptures are amazing! How did you do that?!

Oh, and on a side note how does this computer know who I am? It signed me in and I didn't even do anything except visit this site....from an LCC computer....

Sarah said...

if you were signed into gmail it will automatically sign you in

Tom said...

Sorry, Jennifer. We should hang out, so you don't disappear.